Thursday, May 21, 2009

And They Came in Packs Carrying Cigarettes and Tissues

I feel like I really grew up here. I never thought I would really grow fond of LA. I mean, even when you say "LA" you don't even say the whole name. LA encompasses cities and suburbs and a vast amount of sprawling land. I have grown to love LA. Not because of the proximity to Sunset Strip, the Hollywood stars, Coffee Bean, and Venice Beach. I love LA because I have met the most amazing girlfriends.

I moved from San Diego to LA with 1 girlfriend(at the time she didn't like me so much.) We lived together in an apartment in West Hollywood with her boyfriend. We had holiday jobs at the Beverly Center on 3rd and La Cienega. We worked at Restoration Hardware among the stars that floated in to buy a sconce, paint, or some green glass knobs for their bathroom cabinets. The stars did not matter to me because all I wanted was a group of girlfriends like I had when I was in high school. Like I said, this one girlfriend was hanging on a thread. I didn't even want to hang out with me. I was selfish, stoned all the time, and I couldn't stop thinking about when I was going to make some girlfriends. I could make girlfriends in one night drunk at a club. I realize now, those were not friends. They were acquaintances.

So, I guess I had a enough of going to work stoned, drinking, and being pissed at the world because I moved to LA and I still wasn't happy. I was only living in LA for little over one month when I had an awakening. I had to get sober. I never thought I would go back to those meetings again. I thought I could handle it on my own. I was miserable and I believed I was unlovable. I was willing to do anything to feel better. I heard there was another way of living. I had to find these people in LA. Most likely they would not be women, they would be old men, with no teeth, wearing trench coats, and smoking cigarettes. I found so much better. I didn't find them on my own. God found these women for me. They were armed with cigarettes and tissues and they gave me their phone numbers.

They called me the next day and told me to meet them at a meeting. One woman even told me to go with her early and get bagels for a meeting! Who were these women? Were they for real? They were real and they have been real women in my life for 7 years and counting. I was allowed to cry, make mistakes, get angry, smoke cigarettes, and swear...and they talked about God too! I had found my people! I never knew I could allow God into my life, make mistakes, smoke, and swear...all at the same time!

I found my home. I found my long lost tribe of sisters. I found open hearts and open arms. I found my heart and I learned how to allow these women I barely knew to love me. And my life will never be the same....and that is a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we let you do something else too, but I won't mention it since you're engaged now and all... :)
Eirlys

Anonymous said...

Hee! Hee!